Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Driving in Penang

It's been years since I left Penang to study and work. Every now and then when I go back to my beloved hometown, the only thing I hate is the driving bit. Why?

1. Motorcyles are kings of the roads. You bang/kill them, you're at fault no matter what. Don't ask me why.
2. On normal roads (2-lane roads inclusive), you'd be pleased to drive faster than 50 kph at normal times.
3. There are 11 traffic lights from Gurney Drive to Tanjung Bungah (the place I stay) on a so-called widened road!
4. Worst of all, the traffic lights are not synchronised, so no point hitting the accelerator and jumping the red light because you're almost certain to see red the next one.
5. People in Penang do not understand what is "Beri Laluan" so they just wait patiently for the green light. When you honk at them, they look at you like wth is wrong.
6. Driving in Penang is like brake-accelerate-brake-accelerate (not more than 50kph btw).
7. There is no fast lane in Penang. In fact, in Burma Road, the fast and slow lanes are for cars to park illegally to buy stuffs. So in effect, the only lane that is usable is the middle lane, but then again see point 6 because of the in and outcoming of the cars in the fast and slow lanes.
8. They say island people are very kiasu, i second that although I'm not:) Cars/motorcyles swerve left and right as they like but when you genuinely need them to give you way, they will stick it in there like the fight of their day.

I'm pretty sure there are more points to the above, but we shall revisit when I encounter more lol

No comments: