Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Of superstitions and obsessions

I am not exactly a superstitious person to say the least. I've always raised eyebrows at my friends or relatives who believe in superstitions. My best friend is one who is obsessed with crystals, landed homes (apparently it gives the land chi or something), face features, palm reading etc. I in the other hand feel that this is a pretty damaging obsession. Simple reason: I do not want to be told how to live my life. Of all the people who believe in all these, they would always say the same thing "Listen only ma...no harm". Think again, are you sure there's no harm? When one tells you that you're gonna have a bad year this year (accidents, health complications), you'd surely tend to be more careful when you live your daily lives. I once read a book that says the more you think of avoiding something, the more likely it will happen.

Case 1: You just bought a new car and you drive with extra caution. The more you think of avoiding accidents, the more likely it will happen.
Case 2: Have you ever found yourself waiting for an important call next to the phone but it never did come? But once you have lost patience waiting by the phone, the call comes in!

I truly believe in the above. Therefore I've never believed in obsessions of superstitions. However there's only one thing that I've not dared to go against. Growing up, I remember often reading newspaper articles of accident victims' relatives coming out to say "the boy/girl has given us a special something (hug/letter) before the accident). Perhaps that is how it has affected me and till today, sadly, I've never given my parents a hug since younger days I think. I guess it was just this fear that I'll lose them if I do something like that.

Speaking of obsessions, I can't stand people who are too immersed in something. I don't think I have for once, been crazy about any one celebrity or team. I do admire a list of celebrities but there's not ONE that stands out that deserves my craze. The recent loss of Man Utd to Liverpool showed me how childish people can get by getting angry and stuff. Come on...Man Utd nor Liverpool knows how you feel about the win/loss! I have had people come to me and made fun of Man Utd knowing I support them and probably thinking that I would be agitated but I wasn't. It was just plainly a game of sports! and I know very well in any game, no matter how superior you are, you have to lose sometimes and lose graciously, you ought to. There's no denying Liverpool played a good game that night so they deserved it, period. The league is not won by a game but 38 games.

How people just amuse me every day.....hahaha

No comments: